June 1 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Jun 05

The Voice of Space by Marcus Chown

June 5 @ 6:30 pm - 9:30 pm
Jun 17

Trip to the National Space Centre in Leicester

June 17 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pm

Subscribe to Flamsteed via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this website and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 197 other subscribers

Home Forums Observing and Imaging Group Any Steve experts?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  glencoejoe 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Andy Sawers
    Topics: 111
    Replies: 587

I’m sure most of you will have seen the reports of an aurora-like phenomenon which has acquired the name ‘Steve’. Details on the BBC website.

A photographer on Facebook has just posted a photograph he took in Glencoe, Scotland, with a similar-looking phenomenon captured.

Any thoughts???

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by  Andy Sawers.
    • This topic was modified 1 month ago by  Andy Sawers. Reason: Corrected the headline!!!

glencoejoe
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

Hi Andy,

Just seen your post regarding ‘ Steve ‘ and cross referring it to one taken in Glencoe some 2/3 weeks ago.

I witnessed a similar type of phenomenon on October 8th 2012 also in Scotland, which occurred immediately prior to the onset of a great night of aurora pictures.

The flare as I called it at the time was only noticed by myself after turning round from the opposite direction and may well have been visible for a few minutes before i noticed it.

I only managed some 7 shots and these were spread over some 11 / 12 minutes before the effect faded away and the Aurora kicked in.

I have attached a small resolution file for comparison

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.