Subscribe to Flamsteed via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this website and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,678 other subscribers

Home Forums Observing and Imaging Group Anyone know what this might be?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Tej 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

nickdavies
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 2

Hey People.

First of all I like to raise a glass to Mike for a great lecture today on astrophotography (sorry for turning up late, I got slightly confused and went to the deep sky lecture a week early!).

Anyway, the lecture prompted me to ask about this. In one of my first CCD sessions I noticed “something” crossing the frame. Guessing it’s a satellite of some sort, but the south – north direction made it a little more interesting. Some military maybe?

I’ve searched however and have yet to come up with a conclusive answer…

https://vimeo.com/301949025

Around 2:13 in the video.

The resulting image wasn’t too bad though…

https://instagram.com/p/BpKwnlLBe_-/

Thanks.

Nick

Mike Meynell
    Topics: 119
    Replies: 756

Glad you enjoyed it this evening, Nick.

That’s a great image of the Moon.

As regards the “mystery object” it looks like a satellite or perhaps a piece of space debris. There are quite a few south-north satellites and not all are military / spy satellite in origin. Many environmental satellites have this orbital path so that they can cover the whole planetary surface over a period of time.

There will be quite a few rocket bodies as well… and particularly remnants of old Soviet spy satellites.

SkySafari has satellites included in the database now, so that’s a good place to look. Orbitrack is another app that is quite useful for satellite data.

Mike Meynell
    Topics: 119
    Replies: 756

Looking at it again in close-up, the object does appear to be changing shape (though that could be atmospherics)… leading me to suspect that it’s an object that’s tumbling and therefore probably space debris, like a spent rocket booster or rocket body.

nickdavies
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 2

Yeah I think you could be right. At higher resolution it definitely appears to be changing shape. Interesting stuff! Thanks mike!

Tej
    Participant
    Topics: 39
    Replies: 597

That’s a fascinating capture of a mysterious transit, Nick!  And a lovely pan of the moon in its own right. But the final image is fabulous, nice work.   Also, great detective work from both of you!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.