Upcoming Events

Jul 01
Jul 07

Subscribe to Flamsteed via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this website and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 197 other subscribers

Home Forums Observing and Imaging Group Astronomy Photographer of the Year 2014 Winners

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Andy Sawers 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Mike Meynell
    Topics: 119
    Replies: 745

Just back from the award ceremony, and, without a doubt, the best image won…. and it’s an aurora picture, as predicted on these forums first!!!

I think this year may be the year for an aurora picture to win!

Aurora over a Glacier Lagoon

Simply stunning… the standout image for me.

Amongst the other amazing images was this one, taken from a high altitude balloon (87,000 feet up!):

Moon Balloon

… and one of my favourites, of a hybrid solar eclipse:

Hybrid Solar Eclipse

An enjoyable evening, and great to catch up with old friends of the society Chris Lintott and Stuart Clark, as well as having a lovely chat with our next lecturer, Ian Ridpath. Also great to meet Stephen Ramsden, who will be our special guest at the solar observing event on Friday.

What do others think about the winning images? Photos can be viewed here.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by  Mike Meynell.

Andy Sawers
    Topics: 112
    Replies: 587

Some fantastic stuff this year. I loved the Masai Mara solar eclipse and the star trails with the wind turbines and the Moon occulltation of Venus and the deep sky Horse’s Head which revealed detail I’ve never seen before. The usual mix of technical virtuosity and artistic merit!

Tej
    Participant
    Topics: 36
    Replies: 582

They all look wonderful and they all capture beautiful unique moments.   It would have been nice to see images taken with lower budget equipment capturing unique moments but all the same, I appreciate the polishing attraction of the winning images.   I think my favourite is the Solar surface image with the filament “wall”.  The perceptive angle is amazing as if I am hovering over the furnace.

Christina Chester
    Participant
    Topics: 16
    Replies: 192

and it’s an aurora picture, as predicted on these forums first!!!

Clearly we all have good ability to discern what a winning astro photo should entail 😉

That aurora image is beautiful and mesmerising. Definitely deserved the top prize. It’s not my favourite though. I like seeing people in photography so ‘Lost Souls’ is the one I admire most. It has an interesting composition too.

Andy Sawers

as if I am hovering over the furnace

Absolutely! Yes, add that one to my list of favourites as well!

Brian Blake
    Participant
    Topics: 187
    Replies: 409

Very impressed by the young photographer category.

Mike Meynell

I like seeing people in photography so ‘Lost Souls’ is the one I admire most. It has an interesting composition too.

Completely agree with that, it’s a stunning image:

Lost souls

Very cleverly composed, and I love the zodiacal light by the Milky Way.

The Deep Space winner, showing the Horsehead Nebula with an unusual perspective is also amazing… but, in line with Tej’s comments, it’s not exactly entry level equipment which took this (17-inch Planewave, Paramount mount, Apogee camera RGB and H-alpha filters… oh boy, 30 grand?). Still, a superb image:

Horeshead Nebula

Tej, the winning image was taken using a Canon 5D mark III… so reasonably high end… but most full-frame DSLRs would have been capable of a shot like this. It’s all about the time, place and composition, which I think is superb.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by  Mike Meynell. Reason: typo

Mike Meynell

Video now on the BBC website, complete with Slade soundtrack at the start (WTF?).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-29237571

Andy Sawers

I see Sky at Night magazine is out on the newsstands today with the winners’ photos.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.