December 17 @ 8:30 pm - 11:00 pm
Mon 18

Flamsteed Pub Evening

December 18 @ 8:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Tue 19

Astrophotography – A Beginner’s Guide

December 19 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm

Subscribe to Flamsteed via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this website and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,555 other subscribers

Home Forums General Discussion Gresham Lectures

This topic contains 15 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Tej 3 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Mike Meynell
    Topics: 119
    Replies: 752

I’m not sure how many people are aware of the programme of free lectures offered by Gresham College? Gresham Professors have been giving free public lectures in the City of London since 1597! A fantastic city institution, which is supported by the City of London Corporation.

There is a superb programme of Astronomy lectures, which either take place at the Museum of London or Barnard’s Inn Hall. At the moment Professor Carolin Crawford (who will be delivering the Flamsteed lecture in June and was last with us back in 2011) and Professor Ian Morison (who has been to the Flamsteed several times in the past) are the Gresham Professors of Astronomy.

This season looks like being a great programme:

• The Search for Dark Matter: Wednesday, 22 October 2014 – 1:00pm: Museum of London
    • The Transient Universe: Wednesday, 26 November 2014 – 1:00pm: Museum of London
    • A Journey Through the Universe: Gresham Lectures on Astronomy: Monday, 1 December 2014 – 6:00pm: Barnard’s Inn Hall
    • The Sun, our Nearest Star: Wednesday, 3 December 2014 – 1:00pm: Museum of London
    • The Early Universe: Wednesday, 4 February 2015 – 1:00pm: Museum of London
    • Small Bodies of the Solar System: Wednesday, 4 March 2015 – 1:00pm: Museum of London
    • The Next Big Questions: Wednesday, 1 April 2015 – 1:00pm: Museum of London

All events are “first come, first served”, and doors open about half-an-hour prior to the event start time.

The audience at Gresham are an eclectic mix… and I’d highly recommend popping along if you have a lunchtime free, or to one of their evening events. Some of the other lectures are extremely interesting as well… from art and literature to medicine, politics, history, music and religion.

They will send you a full programme of events if you fill out this form.

Andy Sawers
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 592

Some excellent stuff in there, Mike – and I see that videos and transcripts are available under the ‘Past lectures’ tab! What a find!

Mike Meynell
    Topics: 119
    Replies: 752

I see that videos and transcripts are available under the ‘Past lectures’ tab

Yes, it’s a fabulous resource. I love the Gresham… surprised you’ve never been!

Andy Sawers
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 592

I love the Gresham… surprised you’ve never been!

I remember now that you mentioned it in the early days of this Forum, but I hadn’t heard of the lecture series before that.

Our earlier conversation was in a thread about online resources.

Tej
    Participant
    Topics: 36
    Replies: 590

Thanks for telling us about these lectures, Mike. I certainly would love to attend some of those.

Brian Blake
    Participant
    Topics: 187
    Replies: 409

Brian Blake
    Participant

Tomorrow Oct 26th at 1300, London Museum Carolin Crawford on Transient Universe.

Tej
    Participant

Will be there!

Brian Blake
    Participant

Shall we meet up by museum entrance at 12.45 Tej?

Tej
    Participant

Sure, I’ll be there 12:30ish.

Brian Blake
    Participant

Ok meet at 12.30.

Brian Blake
    Participant

Excellent lecture from Carolin Crawford all about the new area of time domain astronomy. A very exciting new area of research that looks at changes that go on in the universe over time.  She started off by looking at variable stars and explained how new observing techniques, in all wavelengths, have made this new astronomy more and more viable.  She went on to discuss super nova and the way the shock waves and light burst impacted on the surrounding stellar medium and nebulae.  She finished her talk on gamma Ray Bursters and magnatars. The great thing about her talks is that you do not realise that an hour has passed when she ends.

I spoke to her at the end to introduce myself and she told me she was looking forward to speaking at our meeting.  I can say without fear of contradiction we are in for a treat.  She is speaking next week  on ” The Sun: our nearest star at” at the Museum of London from 1300 on 3rd December. Get there early as there will be a queue.

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by  Brian Blake.

Brian Blake
    Participant

Saw Ian Morison at a Gresham Lecture last night.  He had a lot of good things to say about Flamsteed ie us.

Brian Blake
    Participant

Another marvellous lecture from Carolin Crawford today. I really do urge those that can attend to make the effort.  Only negative two men snoring as they slept through lecture.

Brian Blake
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.