October 21 @ 8:30 pm - 11:00 pm
Mon 23

Flamsteed Pub Evening

October 23 @ 8:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Thu 26

Telescope Workshop

October 26 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm

Subscribe to Flamsteed via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this website and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,533 other subscribers

Home Forums Observing and Imaging Group Images of Saturn

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  John Williams 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Mike Meynell
    Topics: 119
    Replies: 749

Flamsteed member John Williams has kindly sent me two images of Saturn, one of which he took yesterday evening:

I think it’s plain to see how inclined the rings are at the moment, which is contributing to the increase in brightness of the planet. It’s a great time to view Saturn, even though it’s low in the sky.

As good an image as this is, the following image is just superb. It’s a montage of Saturn images that John has taken over the last nine years! It demonstrates beautifully how the inclination of the rings changes year-on-year. A wonderful image, John. Thanks for sending it in.

Tej
    Participant
    Topics: 36
    Replies: 589

Awesome imaging record of Saturn.  So lovely, John.

I dont get time to do much astronomy during this summer but I did manage to squeeze in some visual astronomy on Saturn this week in the small 20 minute midnight window I have to peek at Saturn between a tree and the wall of my house!  And what a gorgeous 20 minutes it is.  I never cease to be awed at sight of it in the 2 years I started this hobby.  And yes, I love the inclination of its rings right now that you have wonderfully captured.

Great photos, Andy will surely be lapping all of that up for his members gallery presentation!

John Williams
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 10

For planetary work I use a second hand 1994  Celestron Classic 8″ SCT on a mains powered tracking mount (fitted with a safety cutout) !!!! The mount is a fork and wedge. There is no polar scope for accurate polar alignment so I use a combination of bearings taken from Google Earth and a long piece of string and two pieces of wood at a fixed angle!!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.