Warning: Use of undefined constant slider - assumed 'slider' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /var/sites/f/flamsteed.info/public_html/wp-content/themes/FAS/header.php on line 23

Subscribe to Flamsteed via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this website and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,739 other subscribers

Home Forums Society Events Members' talks – 10 books in 15 minutes

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Andy Sawers 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Andy Sawers
    Topics: 126
    Replies: 602

Here’s my list of books I mentioned in last night’s ‘Ten books in 15 minutes’ talk…

Astronomy: A self-teaching guide, by Dinah L Moché – Very much a high school (GCSE-level) textbook, but useful introduction to astronomy concepts and vocabulary

Cosmos, by Carl Sagan – But of course. Do look out for the illustrated version. Original TV series available online

To Explain the World: The discovery of modern science, by Stephen Weinberg – Very much focused on the science, with almost 100 pages of technical/mathematical notes 

The Sleepwalkers: A history of man’s changing vision of the universe, by Arthur Koestler – Predominantly focused on the Copernicus/Kepler/Galileo era. Excellent

The Book Nobody Read, by Owen Gingerich – The remarkable detective story of how he traced 600 copies of Copernicus’s De Revolutionibus and studied the scribbled annotations

The Right Stuff, by Tom Wolfe – Brilliant story of the Mercury astronauts

No Shadow of a Doubt, by Daniel Kennefick – Just-published book marking the 100th anniversary of the total solar eclipse that (more or less) proved that gravity can bend light

The Black Hole War: My battle with Stephen Hawking to make the world safe for quantum mechanics, by Leonard Susskind – A difficult topic made as accessible as possible

2010: Odyssey Two, by Arthur C Clarke – HAL, Heywood Floyd, and the Tycho Magnetic Anomaly in a planetary science-driven sequel to 2001

Insight Astronomy Photographer of the Year annual, by Royal Observatory Greenwich – Amazing

• This topic was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  Andy Sawers. Reason: typos
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.