October 21 @ 8:30 pm - 11:00 pm
Mon 23

Flamsteed Pub Evening

October 23 @ 8:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Thu 26

Telescope Workshop

October 26 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm

Subscribe to Flamsteed via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this website and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,533 other subscribers

Home Forums History of Astronomy Group Music for the Great Equatorial Telescope

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Brian Blake 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Andy Sawers
    Topics: 115
    Replies: 589

Okay, this is weird. But I’ve just discovered that a composer called David Bedford was commissioned to write music “for the 1993 renovation at the Royal Observatory in Greenwich. The composer writes that he ‘tried to imagine what it would be like to travel through the cosmos revealed by the first large telescopes’; and that he uses some of the harmonies envisioned by Kepler in thinking of the orbital speeds of the planets as the ‘music of the spheres’.”

This link to Apple iTunes store gives you a taste of the tracks. (Brian, be warned: it ain’t rock!)

• This topic was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by  Andy Sawers.

Mike Meynell
    Topics: 119
    Replies: 749

Blimey. New age music for the Great Equatorial telescope… whatever next?

I note this from his biography on iTunes…

Bedford’s music, like that of more traditional progressive rock artists, suffered a decline in popularity in the second half of the 1970s.

Yep… it’s precisely because of cr*p like this that punk happened. So I suppose we should celebrate it 😉

Brian Blake
    Participant
    Topics: 187
    Replies: 409

I listened to 1 minute of it, sounded like Mantovani on acid.  I agree with Mike.  This is what Never Mind the B****cks was aimed at.

Andy Sawers
    Topics: 115
    Replies: 589

I’m struggling to imagine Mike as a punk rocker, however.

Mike Meynell
    Topics: 119
    Replies: 749

I’m struggling to imagine Mike as a punk rocker, however.

Ha! A side effect of having two brothers 10 years+ older than me. I was brought up on it.

All the bands I went to watch later, throughout the 80’s and early 90’s, were of the archetypal post-punk variety – all in the indie scene – probably 3 or 4 gigs a week, minimum. Lord alone knows how I ever graduated 😉

Brian Blake
    Participant
    Topics: 187
    Replies: 409

Mike with a Mohican!!!!!!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.