Mon 25

Flamsteed Pub Evening

September 25 @ 8:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Oct 16
Oct 21

Romney Observing Evening: 21 or 22 October 2017

October 21 @ 8:30 pm - 11:00 pm

Subscribe to Flamsteed via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this website and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,503 other subscribers

Home Forums Observing and Imaging Group Venus Take 2 23/04/15

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Mike Meynell 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Astrograph
    Participant
    Topics: 27
    Replies: 101

Made a few changes to the filtering and post processing and managed to get some cloud definition and a better colour reproduction. Mind you, I’ve never been to Venus so it could be bright orange for all I know.

Venus 2 by astrograph ltd[/url], on Flickr

• This topic was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by  Astrograph.
    • This topic was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by  Astrograph.

Mike Meynell
    Topics: 119
    Replies: 749

Are you sure you weren’t mistakenly pointed at Mars 😉

Seriously, though… that’s a stunning image… cloud definition is fabulous. What filters did you use?

Astrograph
    Participant
    Topics: 27
    Replies: 101

Thanks Mike

Are you having a go at my colour balance? Just for you I have done a colour sample from an ESA image!

Venus 2 false colour by astrograph ltd[/url], on Flickr

Image was first adjusted visually with an ADC at 450x. I then used an Astronomik IR642 to give me a base image for the Red channel. That was featureless.

For the Blue channel I used a Wratten No 47 filter in combination with a UV/IR cut filter. This is because a #47 passes IR in addition to UV from about 350nm up to about 450nm. An Astronomik UV/IR cut deals with the IR and does not cut UV until 350nm. As the clouds are only visible at the UV wavelengths, it is important to have a fairly tight bandpass around the UV area to get the best contrast.

I do have an Astrodon ‘UVenus’ filter which only passes light in the 3-400nm band. Unfortunately, it renders Venus so dark at the f24 I was using it was not usable. The #47 keeps things relatively bright.

This was only a 2 minute exposure (about 15000 frames). As Venus rotates very slowly, I may well try again near elongation with double or triple the exposure to try and bring out the clouds in more detail.

Mike Meynell
    Topics: 119
    Replies: 749

Are you having a go at my colour balance? Just for you I have done a colour sample from an ESA image!

Ah yes, this is more aesthetically pleasing to my eye!

Interesting about the tight bandpass around the UV area… makes a lot of sense. Very impressed with the amount of detail you’ve been able to pick up using this method.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.