Subscribe to Flamsteed via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this website and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,742 other subscribers

Home Forums Observing and Imaging Group Meteor over Scotland?

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Andy Sawers
    Topics: 127
    Replies: 602

Some very impressive dashcam and CCTV images of a meteor over Aberdeenshire on the BBC website.

Tej
    Participant
    Topics: 39
    Replies: 597

I am sure meteorite hunters have boarded planes already!  It must be a heart thumping sight to see.  Knowing what happened in Russia, I would be sure to tell everyone to stay away from the windows as one of the  Astrofest lecturer advised.   Actually, if you do see something like that and you are driving,  should you try to park up quickly and duck your head in case the car window shatters?  Did the shockwave in Russia shatter car windows or was it just building windows?

Coincidentally, I was watching one of the Quest’s Cosmic Collision episodes yesterday talking about meteorites.   Watching the program, it worried me that meteorites have huge monetary values as these meteorite hunters are mostly NOT scientists but basically treasure hunters and would sell the meteorites, many of which can fetch something like £25000 for one rock.  Some of these meteorites might contain radical game changing elements.  I am not sure if the program gave a proper picture, though.  Great series by the way.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Tej.
    Tej
    Participant
    Topics: 39
    Replies: 597

Just found this.  A more detailed update on what they now think was a meteor “explosion” and a map of all known suspected landing spots…wow, its really spread out!

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/aberdeen/849377/map-meteor-fragments-reported-landed-scotland/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.