Flamsteed History of Astronomy
The Flamsteed has a special interest in the History of Astronomy. Related events are open to all Flamsteed members, at no extra charge (except possibly for optional outside visits). The History of Astronomy activities include the following:
- Meetings of the group 5 or 6 times a season for lectures and discussions. Meetings most likely take place in the evening (Tuesdays at the ROG or Thursdays at the NMM or using a Zoom online format). There may be some day-time events or visits during the week or at the weekend.
- Sharing of knowledge among the members through members’ talks or invited guest presenters etc.
- Talks and other events led by RMG curators and the ROG astronomy staff (eg ‘back stage’ visits to the reserve collection stores).
- Visits to other places of interest eg museums like the Museum of the History of Science in Oxford, sites of interest like Stonehenge (to explore archeoastronomy), etc.
- Other activities to be proposed by the members.
Details of upcoming History of Astronomy events can be found on the main Events List page. On this page you can also look through previous events by entering “History of Astronomy” in the search box and clicking on “Previous Events”.
Pictures from recent History of Astronomy events: